Thursday, January 10, 2013

Skiing is Meditation

Today was my first real day of skiing. I say that it was the first real day because I went on the Friday before New Years and I didn't count it. I had to work, the lines were long and there were so many people I felt I playing dodge-the-tourist, instead of skiing. Last time I went it was a very intense stressful game of frogger, this time it was that nice therapeutic, meditative, speed which I love.

Skiing is comforting to me. My cousin once said that it's the only time he's ever seen me be graceful. Which is probably true. I'm not a graceful person. In fact, my life seems to be a series of mistakes and trip ups rather than some sort of higher calling. Maybe that's why today I felt 100 times better after being out on the hill. I needed to shut my mind off and just go. I think it speaks pretty loudly when I come back from spending time on my skis that I always feel the need to write about it, to share how I feel with the rest of the world.

Some might not understand how attaching two planks to your feet and careening down a frozen mountain is relaxing, but it is. Trust me. Perhaps it's because I began learning when I was 6 years old. If you watch an adult ski lesson versus and small childs ski lesson there are vast differences. 1st the adult doesn't want to mess up and almost tries too hard. A child on the other hand isn't afriad to make mistakes, to go a little out of control, to leave their comfort zone. An adult might say 'oh the kid just doesn't know how dangerous skiing can be, and isn't rightfully afraid.' I taught for three years, never once having an injured child in one of my lessons. In fact, I was the only one who has ever gotten seriously injured as a ski instructor where I work and I wasn't even teaching a lesson, I was skiing from one school to another. The worst thing that happens is a skier starts going down the hill out of control, and then sits. Seriously, the worst thing that happens to beginner skiers is a wet butt.

Once someone learns how to ski or ride it becomes second nature. There is less thought that goes into 'what should I do now' your body just responds to the situation. This is where the relaxing piece comes in. Your brain stops thinking in words and starts thinking in motion and action. Even now as I'm thinking to myself I'm thinking in words instead of feelings or emotions. It's nice to get back in touch with the part of your brain that doesn't think in just words. Skiing does this for me, every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment