Monday, January 14, 2013

Cooking

I consider myself a pretty good cook. My brother has said that I'm a mix of my mom and dad when I cook. If I'm making a meal, I don't follow a recipe. I look at a few and kind of do what I feel might be best. I add this, take this away, taste, add what it tells me it needs. My dad has an uncanny ability to throw a bunch of stuff in a pan or pot and make it taste delicious. It was always an exciting night when we had 'goop'. My mom is a better baker and can follow a recipe. She made all our bread growing up and I've become a bread snob because of it. When I make pizza I make the crust too, my cinnamon rolls have fixed seemingly unfixable social situations and my bread has made a grown man cry (no I'm not joking).

But one food continues to make me shake my fist at the sky, pancakes. Yes, I know, pancakes aren't hard to make. It's the cooking process is where I always go wrong. I overcook, undercook, don't wait for the pan to get hot enough, everything wrong you could do to make you mess up a pancake, I've done it. I'm a much better back country pancake maker. It's not because things taste better in the back country, which they do, maybe it's because I'm not trying to make coffee, fiddle with the radio, and taking vitamins at the same time. It's also not like my mom never taught me how to make pancakes, I've made them with her dozens of times. So this is my new years resolution, I know it's late, to be a better pancake maker. I know, I am aim high. I'm not going for awesome, just average would be OK. To make pancakes not to be embarrassed of.

3 comments:

  1. The secret to cooking no fail pancakes is to use an electric griddle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently not traveling around with one of these... this apparently is my problem

      Delete
  2. Ha ha - I was just complaining to Jason when I made pancakes this Tuesday how I cannot cook them correctly! You should see the mess I make trying to flip them over. Maybe we need to form a support group??!

    ReplyDelete