Monday, July 15, 2013

Rock Climbing

While I'm in Graduate School I will be working with high school students. During the summer the graduate fellows are taking classes that are giving us the tools to better understand and support the students who are going to be here. The school is a semester boarding school, students from all parts of the country come and learn.

I can imagine that this going to be a rough time for some students. I've been reflecting on my own high school and what was really positive for me. The single most positive activity that I did in high school was rock climbing.

Our school didn't have a football team, but instead had a rock climbing team. The rock climbing gym about half an hour away made it very inexpensive for us to go and practice, it was a team for boys and girls. At the competitions you were required to find someone from another team to belay you. The whole atmosphere wasn't about beating others, it was instead about personal best. Everyone would cheer you on and even if they were from another team they would help you and encourage you. The person who was belaying you was also someone you knew you could trust. There also was a great deal of mutual respect for all ability levels. This created a community setting of positive reinforcement. Everyone did well, regardless of who won.

This is the type of community I am striving to make here. Rock climbing gave me a safe space to meet new people, improve and challenge myself. It also was a great self esteem booster and community builder. Thank you Green Mountain Rock Climbing Center for providing me with such a wonderful space that all teenagers need.

No comments:

Post a Comment