Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

 
 While driving through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan I stumbled across a really awesome place. The town was called Munising. I picked Munising only for the distance it had from North Bay, Ontario. I was in North Bay at the time and wanted a place about 7 hours away. I considered stopping in Sault St Marie which is a town right on the boarder but decided against it because it was going to be only 5 hours from North Bay. I didn't feel that this was worth stopping at.
When I looked online to see if there was anything to do in Munising to kill time other than to go and watch Lake Superior I discovered that Munising is home to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore! What an amazing treat it was! The action of Lake Superior and retreating glaciers had carved out the soft rocks and exposed then along the shore. This gave a visual geologic history. Each color represented a period of time. I definitely became a nature nerd for awhile.

Pictured above is Miners rock, and below is from the same viewing platform that I was on only this one is Lake Superior.

This is Miners rock from a different perspective.

Other exposed rocks along the lakeshore.

And finally... the Africa quilt on my bed. Complete with Iggy, the prank Iguana.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. Very happy to see the finished quilt on your bed. It's stunning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really beautiful spot you found!

    ReplyDelete