Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Hiking in Marquette

Last weekend I went hiking in Marquette, Michigan along the coast of Lake Superior. I really didn't expect much other than a very large lake and some trees, but the area surprised me. It was 45 minutes west of Munising, Michigan where Pictured Rocks are located. (See previous post). It looked a lot like the rocky coast of Maine. very beautiful. The trail we were on was the North Country trail. It was running along the coast of the Upper Peninsula of Michgan. North Country Trail which I didn't know until just now when I went to look it up and put on my blog either starts/ ends in New York along the Vermont boarder and begins/ ends in North Dakota. It is 4,600 miles. This is Longest National Scenic Trail. Coming from Vermont where we have the Long Trail and the Appalachian Trail I have a soft spot for long distance hiking trails.

Ok North country trail folks, it would be SUPER cool if you could connect this to Killington Peak in Vermont so that on the top of Killington could either go North to Canada, East to Maine, South to Georgia or West to North Dakota. Although after looking at this map it's far from complete. I'll have to do some more research on this trail...

This is along Lake Superior

We climbed a hill we lovingly named sugar cube.

We then hiked inland and stayed at a lake. On the way out we climbed this hill!

No comments:

Post a Comment