Monday, October 14, 2013

Immersing instead of Escaping

I had a very interesting conversation with a high school student at lunch today. At the semester school that I kinda- sorta work at right now (I also work for a nature center an hour and half away). At the school they are doing something called solos. Solos are basically at time for kids camp alone in the woods. They each have spot and they stay out for 24 hours by themselves. I want you all to keep in mind there are several safety precautions which in place to make sure every students physical and emotional safety needs are met. I personally see this as an excellent opportunity for reflection on their semester. I also see it as an opportunity to really connect with their spot.

This girl who I was sitting with said 'Solos are going to be so boring! I'm going to bring a book about the tropics or something while I'm there.'

She clearly wasn't seeing this as an opportunity to connect with the woods. Instead she was seeing this as an opportunity to sit in a tent for hours and read. She was also choosing a book which was going to escape the world around her. Don't get me wrong, I escaped all the time while I was in Benin. Every time I took a bike ride, or read in my apartment, I escaped the frustrations of third world living. This can be a very helpful for sanity. However, I found myself at some low points in Benin where I was completely escaped from the reality around me.

It is a fine line to walk between escaping and immersion. But I think for one night this girl should immerse herself in the opportunity given. Carpe Diem! Perhaps choosing a book that instead of escaping makes her feel more connected to her place. Books like A Sand County Almanac or Walden (even though Walden is based on a place in Massachusetts it's still a very similar climate.) would only work to deepen the sense of place.

No comments:

Post a Comment