Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Coffee

I decided that I was going to give up coffee for a week. Why? Well because I felt very dehydrated and wasn't feeling very well in general. I also felt that maybe being off caffeine for a week and drinking lots of water would help flush out my system. Being off coffee would also give me insight as to how dependent my body had become on it. I drink a cup of coffee every morning (like most people) and I've been doing so for a few years now. Don't get me wrong, I love coffee. I was just curious to see how I'd feel getting off the stuff.

I know that caffeine is an addictive drug. I was wondering how I was going to be affected going through withdrawal. Was I even truly addicted?

Day 1:
In the morning I was OK. Tired, but still able to function.
Midday the headache started, persistent, behind my eyes
Had a cup of chamomile tea, felt mildly better.
Couldn't concentrate on anything.
around 4pm I wanted to die. My headache had started going down the back of my neck. I also wanted vomit.
Went to bed at 8pm and woke back up at midnight, I felt like a new person, no headache!

Day 2
Morning was slightly better than yesterday
headache didn't start until 2pm still persistent
It's 4:30 and I haven't had the headache drift down my neck yet.
Still can't concentrate on anything.
No puking feeling.

I'm still on Day 2 of caffeine free week. Clearly I'm having withdrawal symptoms. I didn't really think I was addicted until I went off it. So I took an online quiz to gauge caffeine addiction. Apparently, I'm mildly addicted to caffeine. Keep in mind that my norm is 1 cup per day. Withdrawal symptoms from one cup a day is a little scary. I'll keep you all posted on how my detox goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment