Monday, February 25, 2013

Itasca State Park


To those who don't know my parents recently moved from Vermont to North Dakota. I haven't been able to spend a lot of time with my family so I figured I would take a spring break and go visit them in North Dakota  I flew into Fargo late on Thursday night and drove to their home. That next weekend they took me to Minnesota to visit Itasca State Park. Itasca State Park is home to the headwaters of the Mississippi River. 

Before we left I contacted my friend who I met in Maine and invited him to come join us for the day. I love catching up with friends and was excited that he could join us for the day. We rented snow shoes a the parks visitor center and did a 2 mile loop it took us by lakes and through the trees. The snow was about two feet deep in places and we were glad that we had rented the snow shoes. The trail itself was well packed and an easy snow shoe. Although, I will say that snow shoeing is much harder than hiking. 

The forest in the winter time is completely different than the forest in the summer time. I'm a strong believer that you can hike a trail every day and notice something different every time. The woods may seem quiet but they are always alive and changing. The snow deadens any sound that is made and the cold makes everything seem so still. However, it is much easier to track animals in the winter time because of the tracks they make in the snow. The hoar frost on the vegetation gave everything an ethereal quality. 

Being out in the woods magnifies memories and time instead of stealing them. Spending time outside always makes a day seem special and is filed differently in my memory bank. What a great day spent with family and friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment