Monday, December 10, 2012

'Lodging and Reservations, Melissa Speaking'

So my current desk job is a far cry from living on a glacier, hiking in Yellowstone or outdoor education but it is a job. It works perfectly in my schedule. Just because it's not the ideal job for me doesn't mean I can't go work everyday, make a few dollars and go home.

Here is my rant about jobs:
There are people in this world who do try day after day to find work and can't. This rant is not for these people. This rant is for the college grads who can't find work because they think it's somehow below them to clean a toilet, flip a burger, or run a cash register. I have heard many of my friends from high school say 'oh I can't find work.... It's impossible....' when they live in areas of world that I KNOW contain a Starbucks on every street, a McDonalds on every corner and about 4 hotels in the span on 5 miles. Suck it up, and apply. I realize that college is a lot of money, and when you just paid $80,000 for your education cleaning up vomit may not be exactly what you were envisioning. However, it does not mean that the bills stop coming. Maybe you were lucky enough to have mom and dad pay for college, and don't have student loans, that's great. I always have my jobs lined up. I've never been in a situation where I was jobless. I have to work at it, but I do find work, and I move to it when I find it. If that means mopping a floor, asking someone if they want a refill on their coffee or taking condo reservations over the phone, then so be it. I don't have to go into default on my student loans because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment