Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Gaining Perspective

So this ski season hasn't started off very well for me. I actually have a life and am trying very hard to live it this year. I have friends who I like to make plans with on the weekends, I have family who live in other parts of the country and I'm trying to set up my next adventure (this will be a new post). This year will be the 3rd year I will have worked in the office I work at. Overall it's been a cushy job, getting two days off a week, making reservations, having full time work, my hours being slightly flexible. The past years I've been rather flexible in my schedule without a whole lot of other priorities other than working. This year however I do have other things going on in my life. Due to a training schedule I have only had one week thus far where I have two days off in a row. Often times this means that I'm working 3 days and then 7 days. Needless to say this is very frustrating.

On my first two days off in a row my plans went down the drain for a number of reasons, all valid. So I decided that I was going to get some stuff done like get my car inspected, grocery shop, do my laundry, get my dress fitted for an upcoming wedding I'm a bridesmaid in, finish Christmas shopping... So I got my car inspected and went grocery shopping. I even went for a hike. This is where my weekend goes down hill. I saved Christmas shopping, dress fitting and laundry for Sunday. On Sunday I woke up to a flat tire. I pumped it back up full of air but was advised to not actually drive on it any more than I absolutely had to, which was to get it fixed. The killer part was the I was actually at a tire warehouse the day before getting my car inspected. Awesome. Nowhere in the state of Vermont actually repairs tires on Sunday. So I was stuck at home, at least I had gone food shopping the day before. On Monday morning I went back and got my tire fixed having just barely enough time to get to work. They were thankfully able to patch it, a total of $30. If I had gone to some other places they may have told me I needed a new set of tires. I then proceeded to have a very terrible day filled with obnoxious people on the phone and in my office.

This whole weekend and Monday were pretty terrible. But today something happened which helped me gain perspective. An elderly woman I know had a flat tire and took her car in, unlike myself, her tire was unable to have a quick patch put in place and all the tires on her car needed to be changed. $400 later this woman had new tires on her car. This is not someone who can afford a $400 car payment. She then was having to reconsider some plans that she had made based her finances. Here is an adult woman who is struggling financially. Even if this woman were to receive $1000 for a Christmas gift, this money would be spent right away on bills, mortgage, prescription medicine, and groceries. Living from paycheck to paycheck is never where I want to find myself. It makes me very sad to hear that someone who is elderly is having to do this. This woman has value in our society yet she is struggling to maintain a simple lifestyle. The financial struggles in life should come at the beginning rather than at the end. Hearing about these troubles especially around the holidays make me thankful for what I do have.

Right now If I were slapped with a $400 car bill, I would be able to pay it. I would gripe, and probably complain, but I would be fine. I would still be able to have a cell phone, pay my student loans, eat and buy the things I needed. My troubles at work not having two days off in a row and then having the annoyance of a flat tire, pale in comparison a grandmother who is trying to make the holidays the best they can for their children and grandchildren. Many people in the United States live paycheck to paycheck. I'm thankful that I am not one of them. However, these people have put my own problems into perspective. While annoying and frustrating as my current situation is I still am able to do the things I want within reason. My heart goes out to those who have to sacrifice over the holidays. I hope everyone has a safe place to celebrate among family and friends. I know that this time of year can be stressful and frustrating but please in those times where maybe things aren't going the way you planned please remember those who are less fortunate. Happy Holidays everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment