Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Clarendon Gorge and Airport Overlook

Woody dog and I went for a hike today. Normally I just bring Buster. Woody is getting up there in age and he hurt his shoulder attempting to play soccer. He's yet to go hiking with me this season. But because he had to go to the vet to get a few shots I figured that he could go for a hike. I left Buster at home and went directly to the trail head after the vets. This is why Buster stayed home.

Clarendon Gorge is south of Rutland on 103. There's a pretty big parking lot where the Long Trail crosses the road, this crossing unlike the one at the base of Bromley, is well marked and visible from the road. I had read that there was an overlook just south of the gorge. So Woody and I went to investigate.
We got to the gorge and there is a suspension bridge. Woody wasn't too sure about crossing the bridge as it kind of swayed back and forth with each step but he made it across.

We then continued to go up an incline. The trail was pretty well marked, I could see the next white blaze ahead from the blaze I was next to. This has proven to be the case for most Long Trail/ Appalachian Trail hikes I've been on. Well marked and maintained. It was only a mile in from the parking lot but the incline was pretty steep. The higher you go the better your view is. I didn't realize how steep it was until I started going down. the trail doesn't switchback at all, and basically goes straight down a steep hill. Overall, not bad though. The view was great. It was windy and definitely acting like fall which is what I've missed living in West Africa.
I had a clear view of the airport from the lookout. there are actually two. There's a lower on that shows the view more on the northern side of things and then there's the higher view to the west. Unfortunately there were no planes flying in when I was up there, but maybe another time. Round trip it was 2 miles.

I've been having a great time exploring the trails that surround my house. I always have a hiking companion in my dogs and I like the solitude and peacefulness that is in every hike. It really is a form of meditation. I was reading On the Wild Edge and the author asked his wife 'what do you think about when you walk' her answer, 'nothing and everything.' That's how it is for me too. I think of nothing and everything at the same time. Going into the woods and walking around is an extended release of endorphins (fyi: endorphins are the chemical in your brain which make you feel happy). Because of this feeling that I get when I hike, I feel that I'm pursuing a career path which is right for me. Hiking and being outside make me happy, I think I'll try doing that for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment