Sunday, September 15, 2013

Being a Good Tourist

I have worked in the tourism industry for a number of years, doing different jobs here and there. I was a ski instructor, a lodging and reservations phone operator, front desk, waitress, housekeeper, tour photographer and now I'm the face of a nature center. I have helped people in and out of helicopters and I have also poured them coffee.

There are great people who come and are willing to pay for the services that these places provide. Many are happy to be there, have a great time, enjoy whatever things there are to do, and leave without too much fuss. These are the people that you want coming back, the ones that are hassle free tourists. These are the same people that graciously accept when there is a problem, understand that things don't always go according to plan and are flexible with their travel plans. It is much easier to find solutions to problems when the person on the other end is understanding.

Then there are the high maintenance tourists. These people are the ones that take up the majority of your time, they nit pick every little detail, they don't appear to be having any fun and they also complain about everything. They are uncompromising, always trying to squeeze every last amenity or service out of you that they can, they look for problems, and worst of all they are entitled. Their attitudes are 'Well I paid for the cheapest option, but I want the best.' They don't see staff as people instead they see them as servants. Staff are forced to grin and bear and apologize for services which were never part of their vacation in the first place, or cirucmstances that were out of their control.

"I'm sorry that you forgot to sign Joey up for ski lessons today in the middle of February break and ski school has been booked solid two weeks"
"I'm sorry the helicopters are loud"
"I'm sorry it's raining outside"
My personal favorite "I'm sorry the puppy you were holding was squirming and fell out of your arms and landed on your foot" keep in mind I was simultaneously trying to comfort a terrified puppy who dropped from a height of four feet and landed face first on a steeltoed boot.

The sense of entitlement 'Because I've paid for this my expectations are so high that they are impossible for you meet them'. They look down their nose at you, you are scum to them, someone they can complain to when they found a spot on the rug underneath the bed, when their coffee wasn't poured for them 5 seconds after they seated themselves, or when the weather isn't cooperating with their plans.

Being the understanding tourist is hard sometimes. When the answer isn't the one that you were looking for, you're forced to reevaluate. I find that remembering the person you're talking to has limitations to what they are authorized to do, helps. Accepting an answer and going up the chain, is sometimes your best bet. Also realizing that the staff are often times very busy, and there might be a larger problem on hand than running towels or lighting your fireplace.

I sometimes have felt the feeling of entitlement well up inside me when I'm on vacation. Perhaps it's because I worked in the tourism industry I begin to get overly critical. It's not a feeling I enjoy. I remind myself that the customer service respresentatives are people too, even if you're not speaking to them face to face. They aren't there to be harassed, or verbally abused by me. They get to go home happy, feeling good at their jobs.

While yes, there are times where a hotel has messed up, where the food is bad, or when your instructor is having a lousy day. It is not always tourists bad attitudes. If you're at a quality establishment then the place will recognize and do the best they can to make it right. If you really don't like the service you are getting, you don't have to come back. But please keep in mind that customer service representatives are people too and often times they are doing all they can for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment