Thursday, April 26, 2012

Afralaska Island

It has become clear to me that nobody really knows what I'm doing this summer... even my closest family. I love my family, and I probably haven't given them enough information to begin with. Also I think that my life kind of blends together for my relatives. When I came back to Okemo apparently my co-workers were playing the 'where in the world is Melissa game.' It's been funny to hear people try to explain to others what I'm going to be doing this summer. Rumors include: Working on an island. Studying native flora/ fauna. Musher. Going to New Zealand. And my personal favorite: going to Africa (Lynn accidentally says this instead of Alaska which confuses everyone). So I'd thought I'd clear some things up:

So to re-cap here is what I've done since graduating college:

Peace Corps Benin
Lodging and Welcome Center at Okemo
Waitress (also in the Ludlow area)
Environmental Educator in Beaumont, California
Wilderness Guide in Wyoming
Environmental Educator in New Hampshire
Back to Okemo....
and now I'm off on my next adventure!

Here is the job announcement I found and replied to:


Tour Attendant / Photographer, 


We offer helicopter/dogsledding tours on the Juneau Icefield

Greet guests, load  & unload  from helicopters. introduce guests to mushers, action photos and sales. 

Entry level position: TAPS work directly with guests. Must be personable, enjoy working with people, professional in appearance and manner. Capable of working with helicopters and operating tours in a safe, professional manner. Applicants must be physically fit and capable of lifting 50 pounds on a regularbasis. Employees live and work on a glacier for the summer. The glacier camp has helicopter access only.

We are looking for energetic, enthusiastic folks who are good team players. Must be capable of working well with others in a remote environment. All positions are seasonal. Dates vary depending on the camp you are working in but typically run from May through mid September.

Prior glacier travel experience, extended backpacking, Wilderness medicine skills welcome.

 So there you have it. I have edited the above renouncement and left out some privacy information such as exactly where I'm going to be living/ company name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment