Saturday, April 30, 2011

Road Trip Part 2

So I made it to Fargo without incident, including speeding tickets. My car a 99 2-door Honda Civic named Otis went pretty well for being an 11 year old car. Although, I'm pretty sure my old '90 Oldsmobile Cutlass (Cecilia) would have given me fits on more than one occasion.

So Otis and I trapsed through the remaining portion of Illinois, through Wisconsin and then up to St. Paul, Minnesota. Illinois didn't leave much of an impression on me. In fact, it looked a lot like Ohio, which isn't saying much. Granted I was only in the top corner and most of the time I was avoiding Chicago like the plague. Didn't leave the state much chance to impress me. Wisconsin was pretty, rolling hills dotted with farms. I imagine Vermont might have looked similar at one point when there were no trees because they were cleared for farmland. Only difference would have been Vermont has hills and mountains verses Wisconsin has petite hills. Minnesota was a lot like Wisconsin, maybe less hilly. I came into St. Paul/ Minneapolis and the roads between those cities aren't fun especially around 4pm. I would highly reccomend not doing this, in fact unless you have some reason to be there, don't go if you're just driving therough.

The reason why I didn't go around, was that I had a friend living in the area who I hasn't seen since college. Thanks once again for letting me crash at your house. It's nice to be in a home rather than a hotel room. Hotel rooms are sterile and lack life, a home is welcoming and comfortable.

The next day I drove on to North Dakota, my final destination. I thought about stopping at the worlds largest ball of twine, it was only an hour out of my way, but I decided an hour was a long way to go to take a silly picture of myself giving the thumbs up in front of a gazebo that houses the worlds largest ball of twine, arguably the most boring attraction ever created. If anyone is wondering where exactly it is, as it would be fun to get their picture taken in front of it, it is located in Darwin Minnesota, halfway between St. Paul and Fargo, but not on the main road. I ended up at my destination around 10:30am, I left St. Paul at around 5:30am. The road between Fargo and my destination of slightly north of there was water on either side. A huge lake due to flooding. That's what it was like, driving through a lake.

And so my road trip is over, 4 days, 1,700 miles, 2 hotel rooms, 1 friends house, 3 foot long subway sandwiches and 7 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment