Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pi Day

3.14 aka the number Pi. Ever ask yourself 'What is Pi?' Click here find out! Yes I did actually watch the entire video. Don't worry it's less than 2 minutes long. Unless you're still in school or in some sort of job that measures circles you probably don't use pi a whole lot. However, on March 14th (3.14) the nerdiest of nerdy holidays takes place. International Pi Day! Where celebrations are as follows: people eat pie. No joke, that's it. It's a nerds excuse to eat pie. Similar to International Talk Like a Pirate Day sometimes the day goes by unnoticed until very late at night while checking facebook you realize that your nerdy friends were more on their game than you were and made pie (cough cough, Alayna Bohan). I was hanging out with my cousin and his girlfriend and we actually remembered that it was Pi Day. Giving us the perfect excuse to have pie.

When my aunt got home we realized that we could also have a 'how to make pie crust' lesson. My Aunt is an amazing pie crust maker. And I'm at a loss for learning to make good pie crust. My mom, cutest woman in the entire world who never swears and is an excellent cook, I've watched her cuss out pie dough and throw it in the garbage before it was even rolled out to make rolli-polli pie. An ex boyfriend of mine from high school also made excellent pie crust. But he was a controlling chef and wouldn't let me help... ever. So consequently I can make things like tiramisu, flan and cinnamon rolls, but not pie crust. I won't give away any secrets but there was a lot of 'look at this color' and 'feel how it feels' and 'you just kind of do this'. Its the same with making bread, which my mom is very good at, You have to just know. Words cannot describe how it should be.



Crust was then baked and filled with cream cheese and cherry pie filling on top! Another had pumpkin pie with maple syrup instead of brown sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment