Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Voting

When people start talking politics I usually turn and walk away. Political debate really doesn't interest me. I know what the candidates stand for and I feel that I've informed myself to make the best choice which lines up with my own values. However, election day is the one day which I do become excited about politics. 

There are places in the world where people do not get the opportunity to vote, or if they do their votes don't matter. Corruption and lies unfortunately goes hand in hand with politics. The guy low on the totem pole doesn't always get his voice heard. I'm not saying the the United States is free from this kind of controversy, but at least I feel safe to go to the polls, cast my ballot, chose the candidate I want and leave without having to look over my shoulder. The United States voting system is far from perfect but I feel that everyone should participate. 

Those who chose not to vote are giving up their right to chose their leader. Apathy with lead us nowhere. Be proactive and vote. 

No comments:

Post a Comment