Monday, September 10, 2012

Mountain Mama

I found myself southbound again after an amazing 5 months in Alaska. I felt that other places I've been its' taken a long time feel comfortable living in that place. Alaska was a place that captivated me from the moment my plane landed in Juneau. Southeast Alaska is a place that one remembers with awe it's savage beauty and at the same time gives the place a health respect. After living there I felt that all land was supposed to be like that, big and open. I've decided that I need to live in the mountains. I feel like I can't breath in a city. New York City is fun but coming from Alaska I felt closed in and a little claustrophobic.

 I have a theory that people weren't meant to live in boxes, thousands of years of careful slow evolution wasn't meant to put us behind a computer. Machines, tools and buildings were never meant to become our lives but rather were there to make us more comfortable. While one could use the internet to educate themselves on a particular topic such as politics or why something works, the vast majority of the people who use the internet check their facebook, and snoop on what is going on in others lives. We use it to send little messages to one another which don't ever say anything but make us feel connected. And so those same machines, tools and buildings which made our lives more comfortable have become the norm. I'm not going to argue that I do like a hot shower and bed at night. But I also spend most of my time outside, communicating and connecting to others and nature. Being in the mountains with their vistas and challenges reminds me that the world is a big place that I am part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment