Friday, August 17, 2012

Lets Get Physical

I realize I haven't written here in over a month. Reason why? I've been busy. The season was going very strong and it's one of the better seasons that the company has ever had. With less weather cancellations and more tours we've been working for over a month straight without many breaks. I'm by no means complaining  every tour that comes off the helicopters is $ in my pocket. But walking around in snow and ice all summer has begun to take it's toll on my body, both for the good and the bad.

In the winter time I sit in an office and take phone calls. Not going to lie, it's not the most physically challenging or mentally stimulating job I've ever done but it does pay the bills and gets me a free seasons pass so that I can ski. I do go out on the slopes about once a week which hardly qualifies as a work out schedule. I truly began to feel a bit like a blob last winter even though I didn't gain or lose any weight, just my muscles changing.

In the fall I probably walk with my kids about 10-15 miles a day. Which is a good work out. But I eat crap food all week long. But here on the glacier I walk probably about the same but in snow. Which if anyone has ever walked in snow for a long period of time it will build muscles and change the shape or your legs. Trust me. I go and hike out to the photo spot, sit and wait for people to go by on sleds, then I take their picture and hike back. I do this about 10-11 times a day (round trip) and it adds up. I also lift 5 gallon buckets of poop (20-30lbs) in each hand every morning and carry them to the poop barrels. On every helicopter there is at least a 5 gallon jug of water which has to go to the water 'buffalo' (aka a large water storage container) and each of those weigh 40+ pounds. My arms and legs get a work out every day which is great.

But my feet are gross. From living in rubber boots all summer long in sweaty socks they are terrible, fortunately no trench foot yet. I have also strained a muscle in my foot and can feel a huge knot in the muscle which hurts every now and again but is working it's way out. I also have strained both my knees. Under the knee cap is where they hurt the most. Once again, it's just a strained muscle which has slowly been going away. My last problem: a sunglasses tan. Which is bad. I look a raccoon. But such is life on the glacier.

No comments:

Post a Comment