Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The End

We've come to the end of another winter. I had my last day on the hill yesterday, a great sunny day but conditions dictated that I would not be able to continue skiing on slush. A friend of mine frequently describes the end of winter like the end of summer camp. Everyone knows it's coming but nobody wants it to end. Such is the reality of seasonal employment there is always an expiration date. All of those fun people who you became friends with and bonded are now leaving we're all moving on to other things. Some stick around and become the leaner 'summer crew' at Okemo but most go do other things. You probably all know that I'm going to Alaska. I have friends who go to New Zealand and instruct, and still others are deciding that they need to move rich peoples yachts from point a to point b.

This may sound depressing and I won't lie, it is. Leaving is always depressing. But I'm not someone to look at my situation and only see negative. I'm between things. While I am frequently leaving I'm also going somewhere. The world is once again full of potential I'm packing my bags and putting them in a car and then I will soon by on an airplane first to North Carolina and then to Alaska. A new adventure begins as an old job ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment