Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Plane Tickets

I've never in my life bought a one way ticket to anywhere... until a few days ago.

Buying a one-way ticket in my mind is risky. It almost implies that you won't come back. Of course this is far from the truth. I do plan on returning because I have a job right after I get back from Alaska (located in New Hampshire) which starts in September. I'm going back to doing what I was doing before, teaching kids about nature. I really enjoy working there, but I'm also glad I get to have another adventure in the summer. It's almost like I'm making up for one winter spent in Benin.

My flight out is a little interesting. It's almost as if in south eastern Alaska (or maybe all of Alaska, I'm not sure) there is a you-just-can't-get-there-from-here attitude. Worse than Vermont and almost rivaling the bush taxi system of West Africa. Here is how I'm getting to Juneau:
1) Driving to Coventry, Vermont where I'm entrusting my car to my grandparents (thanks guys!)
2) Drive to Burlington where I will catch a flight from Burlington to JFK in New York City.
3) Stay the night at my friends apartment in NYC.
4) Wake up really early and get on a flight going to Seattle.
5) People watch for 4 hours.
6) Get on plane going towards destination
7) Flight goes to Ketchikan
8) Flight then goes to Sitka
9) Flight goes to Juneau
10) Sleep in Juneau
Here is where the plan breaks down. I could either take a little plan from Juneau to my job or I could take the ferry. Neither has their schedules up for the date that I need so... I'm going to have to wait a little while. Although I've been promised that you can do it day of. If it gets to two weeks before I leave and still nothing, I'm just going to call and see whats the deal.

This trip is looking to rival some trips I've had tooling around in Benin trying to get from Point A to Point B. At least I have a better chance of things going right in the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment