Thursday, May 26, 2011

To Move or not To Move?

I've been grappling with this question for the last couple of days. As a drifter, I feel the need to explore different areas of the world, try new things and generally learn to be comfortable somewhere else. Being a seasonal employee is perfect for me, I go one place than in about 6 months to a year I'm ready to move on and my job is over. I pack up my car (or my backpack in some cases) and head on down the road to whatever life i'm going to lead next. The world that describes me is a drifter. When I'm not drifting I'm dreaming of where I'm going to drift to next.

Of course living this life there is a lack of security. Questions such as what is my permanent address? and weather or not I'm a citizen of one state verses another is always a problem. The biggest problem is not knowing where I'm going next. In this job market the field is highly competitive and I have friends who are my field who have applied to 15 or so jobs and heard back from 2, keep in mind just heard back, not received offers. This is a lot of energy to put forth all the time. A good job search takes about 3 months for all applications, resume tweaking, and cover letter revisions. Then you have to set up phone interviews on your time off, gather your references (by the way thank you so much to my references you guys are amazing!), and do your research with each company all while the end date of your current job looms over your head. It's stressful and exhausting.

Since about 6 months before leaving Benin until now I feel like I've been on a constant job search. So I'm considering just staying. I like it here, I've only been here for a few weeks so I don't feel like I've gotten to explore the area, and I don't want to go through another job search. I'd like a break. I'm tired of sending out my resume, tired of annoying my references, and tired of the unknown. I'm not saying that I'm ready to settle down, I'm just not ready to so quickly jump into a completely new everything.

To move or not to move? I have a few choices, I could stay here in southern California for another year, job search for another job, or live with family/ friends and get some sort menial waitressing job or something. I think my best choice, while it goes against my normally adventurous spirit, is to come back for the year and gain more experience before moving on to the next whatever it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment