Wednesday, October 27, 2010

WFR

The last couple of weeks I've been getting Wilderness First Responder certification. I spent two weeks living and studying with an amazing group of people. I know this may sound a little bias but the environmental field attracts some amazing people. Yea, there are always a few bad apples in the bushel, but overall it's a really good group.

Some things I learned to do while there:
Make a kick ass splint
Correct a broken femur
Check a persons spine
Make a litter (one of those things that rescue crews use to haul people out of the woods) out of things found in our packs
Treat hypothermia
CPR

I am now a certified WFR with the card to prove it, along with a CPR card! WFR is standard in the field of outdoor environmental education/ adventure education. Many places won't hire you without WFR. Glad that I finally do have it. Next on my list is taking the GREs.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa, Well done! I just took the GRE's in Kampala and my advice - study study study! And don't take them outside a busy main street in an African capital;) Good luck.

    ReplyDelete